Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Guanajuato, Mexico -- Why I Harp On...and On...and On!

I was thinking in the middle of the night, and I do think, hard as some may find that is to believe, that I should once again review why I keep bringing up how I have been treated by Gringolandians. Remember, Gringolandians are not just Gringos. They are members, in word, through, and deed, of Gringolandia. Or, to put it in more clinical terms, they are Cultural Imperialists.

The reason this is important is that if you are planning on moving into areas such as Guanajuato, San Miguel de Allende, any number of Mexico's west coast resort areas, you will, sooner or later, have to confront the existence of Gringolandians that operate side by side and at the same time within the city to which you have moved.

Gringolandia is essentially a city within a city. You cannot avoid them unless you are very good in Spanish and become assimilated into the Mexican culture.

Gringolandians, or Cultural Imperialists, do not assimilate into anything. They assimilate the indigenous culture into their own and it is usually an American Enclave culture they create and into which they drag the indigenous.

An Ethnologist did a series of interviews in San Miguel de Allende a few years back. In talking with some of the children of the original expats who settled in SMA before the Cultural Imperialist had their way, made the comment, "why don't these so-called expats bother to actually live in the cultural they profess to adore?"

That is my point exactly and that is why I harp on and on and on about this subject.

An observation I've often made is that these Imperialist move to Mexico with not a thought in their heads to learn Spanish much less become bi-cultural. I have made the comparison to the story in the book THE LORD OF THE FLIES.

They crash land here (often buying houses sight unseen!) and just as in the Lord of the Flies story, they find themselves removed from the constraints of the laws of their homeland and set about creating their own little world with its own set of rules and enforcement of those rules. They cannot subject themselves to the law of the land they are in, Mexico, because they cannot possibly know what those laws are since the vast majority of them will never, ever, in a thousand years learn Spanish.

They dictate who lives in their little hybridized world and if you do not tow the party line, they get rid of you.

Mr. Bill, my arch nemesis, so I was told, held meeting on how to get rid of me and my wife. One of his cohorts, apparently did not understand the rules of , and sent me a post saying that "he hoped when he got up the next morning that he will find that the gringos in Guanajuato will have taken care of me."
That, my dear expat wannabe is what you face in Gringolandia. They have their own laws and goombahs or henchmen to enforce their rules.

Twenty-four hours after I got that threat someone set a car on fire right outside (nine-ten feet away) our bedroom window at 4:30am.

And, to show even further the mind control in Gringolandia, I am often told I am making up this whole affair. Though I tell them they can come to Guanajuato and check into getting a copy of the police report, they, of course, never do it since that would require a high degree of spoken fluency in the language.

I would most certainly advise anyone thinking of moving to an area of Mexico with a Gringolandia to think twice about doing so.

I really would!

And, to amaze you eve further:

I have met only a very few, perhaps less than a handful, of these Gringolandians. I would not know them if I saw them on the street. They use subterfuge, anonymous emails, and third parties to get their threats to me.

It is a wild ride living in Mexico and it is not because of locals.

No comments: