Monday, January 4, 2010

Guanajuato, Mexico -- Getting Back the Rental Deposit

In every article, blog, or book I have written I have endeavored to tell truthful what I am told by my Mexican contacts. I have been threatened with death, isn't that right, Mr. Bill?, because I refuse to quote the sources of my contact and the information I glean from them. Imagine what these psychos would do with that information if they knew the names of the Mexicans who tell me stuff?

Anyway...

I was talking to a Mexican friend about my recent move and the way in which the old landlady freaked out over our move.

When I gave verbal notice of our moving, the landlady went all Pancho Villa on me screeching something to the effect of "how dare you do this to me."

Now, correct me if I am wrong, but don't people all over the world make the decision to move for a host of reasons? We moved because our landlady raised the rent on and already too high monthly rate. The place was a dump compared to what we have now, the new place, and we were paying a fortune for it. That is because Gringos are seen as a Bank and Trust and property owners see nothing wrong in charging a Gringo twice or three times what a Mexican renter would pay.

But, she took it personally.

My Mexican pal told me, and this is a Mexican telling me something about fellow Mexicans, that Mexicans will love and adore the Gringo as long as they are getting money out of them. Once that money supply is cut off, you are hated to the grave. You become the enemy.

Whether this it totally true of not I do not know. The point is that a Mexican told me this about his fellow Mexican.

And, no Mr. Bill, I am not revealing my sources.

Landlords, I've written in my books and articles, will not return a rental deposit to a Gringo and in most cases a Mexican.

Rental deposits are not security deposits. It is more like "this-is-my-bonus-for-letting-you-live-here gift, of sorts. It is as though Mexican landlords think the deposit you pay is a personal present to the house owner.

I had two friends who were told that because they had "broken the electricity, they were not getting one peso of their deposit back. I swear to God that is true.

The one and only time we got a deposit back was from an American who had morals and ethics when it came to renting to us and returning the deposit.

If you are going to live in Mexico, and in the Highlands specifically, you are going to want the truth, will you not?

Most, if not all, websites, books, articles whitewash the expat adventure. They present a vision of such sterling virtue that you are blinded from it shining brilliance. You've got to get the whole picture, the good and the bad.

No comments: