Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Most Hated Gringo in the World Report – 22

In a top-ten list of why I deserve to have the title, The Most Hated Gringo in the World, certainly very close to the top would be: SOURCES.

The Gringolandians here in Central Mexico get their knickers all twisted into a knot over the fact that I have consistently refused to respond to their emails in which they demand that I name sources for stories and events I've blogged over the years. The stories Mexicans and Expats have related to me about the behavior of Gringolandians and about which I've written, these Gringolandians have demanded that I tell them who it is I have been quoting.

Imagine the gall!

I have employed two distinct styles of writing over the years since moving to Guanajuato. One has garnered paying gigs from at least two major U.S. newspapers, The Atlanta Journal Constitution and other is The Philadelphia Inquirer as well as Transitions Abroad Print Magazine. I've also written for and published with other sources in exchange for promotional credits that helped with my book sales.

The second style of writing, which I find very satisfyingly liberating, is blogging. The burden of proof is vastly different in this type of writing and one is pretty much free to say just about anything.

In my Blog writing, I have often prefaced quotes with, "someone told me…" without a need, really, to name my sources in the piece. And, often you are publishing the story on your own or with someone who does not ask for sources. In using this style of writing I've been able to get local Mexicans who I interview to open up to me more freely when I assume them total anonymity. The same goes with the Gringos I've talked to who live side-by-side with various Gringolandians and who do not want their names attributed to the quotes for fear of reprisal…that's right, Gringos afraid of reprisal if it got out they are the some of the sources within some of my stories.

Allow me, if you will, to stop the flow of this piece and make mention of something.

These Gringolandian detractors of mine have actually accused me of making up that I have published pieces with reputable major metropolitan newspapers. One of the detractors even alleges he is an ex-newspaper editor of a southern state's paper. And yet, none of them apparently had the clarity of mind to verifying my publishing credits with the papers for which I say I have written. Did not one of them consider checking the online archives? One of these Gringolandians went so far as to put online that he checked and all he found for proof were letters to the editors. When was the last time someone was paid hundreds of dollars for a letter to the editor? Amazing reasoning there.

With most of my blogging being done online, and with me NOT naming my sources, the "We-want-you-to-die-gang" has concluded that I have made up my sources. They don't exist.

Never in a zillion years would I tell these

we-need-a-bicycle-pump-sized-syringe of Thorazine psycho-ward escapees

who my sources are. If they want to kill me (not kidding here folks) for NOT quoting these sources imagine what they would do with knowing who they are!

If the "we-know-better-than-Mexicans-themselves" Gringolandians got their hands on the list of my sources would they threaten them too? Would they set fires outside their bedroom windows also as someone did to us on June 4, 2007?

Twelve hours after receiving an online threat that said:

I hope when I wake up tomorrow morning that I will have found that the Guanajuato Gringos will have taken care of you.

A fire was set and at least one car would have exploded and ended my writing career had I not been awake in the wee hours of the morning to discover it.

The fire is a verifiable event, folks.

During the summer of 2008, a friend told me that he had read some of my articles online and was wondering just what it is the Gringolandians of Guanajuato and San Miguel de Allende wanted so badly to do me in for.

All I could say to him was, "Who knows?"

Expats from Guanajuato and San Miguel de Allende, those not associated with the bubbled lives of the Gringolandians, actually warned me not to write about issues in the Gringolandian communities. I was told by Expats of longstanding residence in Mexico that "those people would try to hurt you if they can" should I persist in writing about Gringolandians and their negative impact on Mexican culture.

Dangerously dire consequences, I was told, would surely follow if I wrote of things like:

1. The effect of Gringolandizing upon local Mexican culture.

2. The willful and intentional inability in the language—monolingual by choice.

3. Gringolandizing is not accidental but intentional—cultural imperialism by design.

4. That the Mexicans in a city such as Guanajuato will regard the Gringo tourist and expat much, much differently than Mexicans in a city whose local economy has been dependent upon Americans' dollars. In other words, Guanajuato is not a Gringo friendly place.

5. That Guanajuato is a terminally provincial town—this was perceived massively by the Gringolandians as being a racist comment.

And the list could go on and on and on!

Perhaps now you can see why I do not mention the sources of quotes by Mexican or Gringo individuals. One Gringo in Guanajuato was concern that what has happened to me would most certainly happen to him if I revealed him as source who agreed with my propositions about Guanajuato.

A man in San Miguel de Allende actually trembled with a quivering voice over what could happen to him and his wife should I reveal them as a source.

Does not this beg the question why?

So, I don't reveal sources lest the Wolves devour them.

###

For Article and Book Reviews CLICK HERE

A Walk Through Mexico's Crown Jewel – A Guanajuato Travelogue, by Doug Bower, is now available through Unlimited Publishing. CLICK HERE

###

No comments: