Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Checking Out My Terrorist's Profile

Am I terrorist? No, I am not. I wouldn't know the first thing about being one nor have I ever read a job description. I've not run across any how-to ebooks either. However, the U.S. Federal Government apparently thinks I might be one.

A few days ago I was looking at a feature on my web site's control panel to check my stats. This is where you can find out who is visiting your site and from which country. This is a handy little device that can help you in marketing your site to a country or state that seems to be clicking a lot on your site in the search engines or directory listings.

While looking at this info I found that the United States Federal Government has been snooping on my site since its creation. The breakdown looks like this:

1. U.S. Military

2. U.S. Government

3. U.S. Defense Department

Anywhere from 4 - 24 times per month I've had visitors from the computers in this three U.S. government entities.

This floored me.

Why, I pondered, would information on how to live in Mexico and learn Spanish be of any possible interest to this government agencies? Is what I've written that subversive?


Anyway, in today's news I found this story:

Social Networking Sites Not Just for Friends — It’s Also for the Feds

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

By Jana Winter; Foxnews

Guess who may be checking you out on Facebook, Wikipedia and MySpace?

The Department of Homeland Security and the FBI are poring over non-verifiable profiles on the Web to help decide who should be allowed into the country and who may pose a threat to national security.

Information is even being collected through Google searches, DHS and FBI sources confirmed to FOXNews.com...Read Whole Story Here

No comments: