Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Guanajauato, Mexico -- It Causes Tumors

We set out at about 1:30pm today to take care of some things. We had to hit the ATM for the rent, buy some groceries, and medications.

We bused to Comercial Mexicana which was the first Supermarket in Guanajuato in the old bus station. We withdrew the rent money then went into the store to get something to eat for tonight.

A TMO, Typical Mexican Operation, was immediately apparent.

Somewhere near the pharmacy was a stereo playing opera. As we walked to the meat section of the store, there was a stereo playing some sort of Mexican Rock Crap. On the overhead speakers, the store's intercom system, there was yet another cacophonous roar that had pitch and rhythm but I could not make out the song.

All sources of the music was competing with one another, so I surmised. What else could it be? It was all playing at such deafening decibels for no apparent reason at all.

Literally, I had to scream at the top of my lungs to tell my wife that I could not find the chips I wanted. My wife, who is not a screamer, moved her lips in reply and I heard nothing. NOT A THING!

I watched the Mexicans in the store who moved about laughing with such Hispanic merriment and mirth as though this riotous bedlam wasn't giving them a terminal brain tumor like it was me.

We checked out with our food then headed to the pharmacy. We grabbed a cab and the driver had no idea where our street was (TMO). He thought he did. He made me think I was going to have to hijack the cab to get home.

Home was finally found by the "I-have-no-idea-where-your-street-is" cab driver.

I collapsed in bed for the afternoon.

###

Resources

1. THE PLAIN TRUTH ABOUT LIVING IN MEXICO
2. A WALK THROUGH MEXICO'S CROWN JEWEL - A Guanajuato Travelogue
3. ROCKET SPANISH
4. LEARNING SPANISH LIKE CRAZY


###

No comments: