Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Guanajuato, Mex - Kidnapping Express at a Neighborhood Near You

I knew it would eventually happen. I didn't know when.
FAMILY SUFFERS KIDNAPPING EXPRESS

Guanajuato - A man, his wife and daughter were kidnapped Monday morning and left hours later near Comonfort municipal presidency. There are several people arrested...See Article
(The child in the incident was just 4 years old.)
And if this wasn't depressing enough, The Director of Public Security said robberies have increased at all levels. People walking on the street, rooming houses, and shops. At least two pedestrians per day and three shops and/or homes are robbed daily...Source


I remember when armed robberies began to be reported in Guanajuato I went through our neighborhood asking my neighbors what they thought. The result was revealing.

Overwhelmingly, I heard replies of sheer unbelief that such things could happen in Guanajuato. One elderly man said I had to be mistaken of the armed robbery I told him about in which a Gringo was the victim. Another man, with university degrees, said I had to be wrong since guns were too difficult to come by.

Crime, like they have in "other places" could never come to Guanajuato.

So, it would seem that Guanajuatenses themselves, at least some, are as naive as Gringos when it comes to crime in the city of Guanajuato.

My wife and I often talk of how even if we had the money to buy a Gringolandian type home and cars, we never would. We would live just as we do now.

Poorly!

###

Resources

1. THE PLAIN TRUTH ABOUT LIVING IN MEXICO
2. A WALK THROUGH MEXICO'S CROWN JEWEL - A Guanajuato Travelogue
3. ROCKET SPANISH
4. LEARNING SPANISH LIKE CRAZY


###

No comments: