Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Guanajuato, Mexico: Spitting

"Mexicans know how to treat their fellow man better..."


I absolutely love that quote. I found it years ago on one of those gringo websites on which the owner is trying to sell the gringo something and to do so she goes the Mexico is Heaven On Earth route in trying to persuade potential buyers to buy her book.

Let's examine a fresh example of just how "Mexicans know how to treat their fellow man better..." that happened to me less than an hour from this writing .

The wife and I were walking home from downtown Guanajuato. We were heading to the Pastita Street via an elevated sidewalk. We walked past the bakery and the other stores and shops leading to the stairway. We reached the stairs, directly across from a small grocery store, that takes you to the street level. We attempted the descent when a man about 60 years of age charged me.

My wife, thank God, was already midway down the stairs. I was on the first step heading down. The man ran up to me growling like a wild animal. He held on to the railing with his left hand while swiping at my head with his right. I ducked and when I did he began spitting on my head. The madman then walked into the store, bought and coke, and then left going the way he had just come.

Now, could someone explain that to me? Could someone tell me how "Mexicans know how to treat their fellow man better..." in that instance?

I know this does not happen all the time. However, try living in this town for a few years and walk the streets daily and you will see just how "Mexicans know how to treat their fellow man better...".

But, that it "does not happen all the time" really is quite meaningless when it happens at all. It doesn't matter that it "does not happen all the time" when it happens to you.

I was in such shock that I took the better route and did not confront the ass. My wife and I stood at a distance and observed.

So, that's my Shangri-La, Nirvana, Heaven on Earth Guanajuato, Mexico report.

And, remember this: That this happened is not at all what is so upsetting. What galls me through and through are the gringos who not only deny this sort of thing ever happens, but they do so so as to get you to buy or rent something they have to offer. They don't want the truth to be known that Guanajuato is like anywhere else on the face of the earth--you have you be vigilant, on your toes always to what could happen to you day or night.

This event happened at approximately 3:30pm on July 29th, 2009.

###

Check Out My New Travelogue and the Free Offer


###

No comments: